Sunday, November 25, 2012

Comics: Now with 100% more Content!

This week i read: Asterios Polyp by David Mazzuccheli. and i have to say it was an incredible read. I went into it not very excited about the reading but after few pages the comic just grabbed me. The design style, character shapes, and visual language was incredible. I loved how the comic depicted the closeness of Asterios and Hanas relationship by the art style in which they both worked, and really how that connected to how they lived their lives. Asterios is depicted as a very technical drawing while Hana like her personality and personal art style is depicted in a much more artistic fashion. It was a masterful way to describe visually the gap forming in their relationship. it was used sparingly but every time it was used it instilled in me a sense of dread. i knew that they were eventually going to get a divorce and every time the divide, both emotionally and visually appeared i got anxious. I kept wondering if this was the moment where Asterios messes up and breaks the relationship? or will she forgive him? it woudl have been very easy to just say it in the dialogue and the emotions of the drawings themselves but the artist went a step further to REALLY drive that divide home.

I quickly found myself invested in the characters. While the main character kind of seemed a little off-putting for me, too stuffed shirt and a little pompous, he was still very likable and i was pulling for him throughout the duration of the story. I was so interested in Hana and Asterios's story that i quickly got bored with the sections where Asterios was with Stiff Major and his family. Those sections were still very charming and contained some great character moments and discussions. but i kept just wanting to get back to the love story. I'm kind of a sucker for a good love story. Through showing little tidbits of Hana and Asterios life i seemed to develop an overall felling that there was a real relationship there with an ebb and flow that felt tangible.

I dont want to give anything away but the ending for me was bitter sweet. Do yourself a favor and READ THIS COMIC. it was super good in every aspect of its execution. but back to the ending... i both loved and hated it. I love how everything wrapped up. but i really wish there was another way they could have told the ending with a bit more resolution or something more to hang onto. however with that said, it was pretty much the most perfect ending that could have gone with this comic. anything less would have been outside of its style, and how it was telling its story. But as you know i tend to want a more clean ending. something with some permanence (well i guess it was a "permenant ending", but i still wish it could have been a bit more "full of life") and what i got, while still loving it, a part of me wished i could have gotten just a bit different take, but i regret nothing, and i wouldnt change it.

in the end what i got out of this comic was a great reading experience, and it prompted me to look into myself and examine how i treat the people i love in my life. putting others first, making sure that the focus is not on me and that i should appreciated not only my love, but everyone around me. Do yourself a favor and READ THIS COMIC!

I give it 5/5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment